The 13th of February it was time for the first round of this years D1:10 Dutch national championship. RCdrift Events is running the D1:10 series since this year and they have been working to get new venues. The season immediatly started at one of those new venues. A huge greenhouse company from Made has opened their doors for us to drift in one of their sorting halls.
This years first meeting/demo was at the Race Expo in Leeuwarden. It was the perfect season opener with a huge track, grippy surface and great people. Unfortunatly Leeuwarden is a ridiculous long drive from here so only I could attend (yay for free public transport) it. The RC track was placed next to the drift car paddock and the action area so lots of cool stuff to see over the weekend besides RC drifting. I didn’t take out my camera due to bad lighting and lots of smoke in the venue, but Driftjay made a very cool video so I still have something to show you all. Enjoy!
Well, this is not exactly part 3 as it isn’t about the same teambody. The original ideas for the teambody have been put on hold by me. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a R2hobbies shell that will break the first time I hit something on the track. In the meantime I came up with an idea to make some bash bodies from old bodies we had laying around. The idea was simple, paint it cobalt green from the outside and put your own design on the hood. I went with the design that has been made by one of the Team Mulsanne drifters. Not very original, but it is f**king cool. Here’s the text and the pictures I’ve used on all the forums.
Its a 2nd hand HPI Toyota AE86 Trueno shell with half a RunFree kit. The previous owner lost the widefenders, sideskirts and spoilers. So the sideskirts and spoilers I’ve made myself and the widefenders came from another set I had laying around. He had cut the body horribly wrong, so the wheelwells are not as nice as they should be, neither are the bumpers. I’ve painted the shell from the outside. The puzzlepieces are all handpainted as are the lights. I’ve scratchbuild a GoPro camera from plasticcard to test out my Tenax ‘glue’. I’ve also fitted Yokomo wipers, Tamiya S15 mirrors, Tamiya 350Z buckets in the front bumper, HPI intercooler in Toyota colours (red/orange/yellow), custom licenseplates, driverset from my S15, Yokomo 12mm offset wheels, Carson exhaust and custom buckets in the popup and rear lights. It won me the Concours d’Elegance at our Dutch 1:10 drifting competition, the D1:10, for the first time. Never have I won with my super expensive and detailed builds, but with this quick recycle project that wasn’t even finished (it was missing the LEDs and buckets in the rear) I win. Pictures by Bart Stax / Rotary (forum nickname) / Dorigazo.nl
You can see more pictures of this car and of all the others here:
Last weekend Ricardo (DarkSupra) and I were at Kernwasser Wunderland at Kalkar, Germany for round 4 of the Open Drift Championship. Despite a whole week of rain, low temperatures and basicly just an early fall it was a beautiful summer day on saturday. Above 20degrees and not even a cloud in the sky! When we arrived we saw that RC Drift Events didn’t get the spot they were promised so we had a very small track to drift on. The real drift track however was a lot better now. Kernwasser Wunderland has invested in ODC and have rebuild their parkinglot in such way that a nice drift track can be layed out on it. The overview isn’t great due to a lot of trees that are in the way, but the track it self looks good and has some very nice corners. Entry speeds ranging up to 85km/h on the dry and up to 75km/h on the wet, which it quite fast considering its still just a parking lot.
Anyway, back to the RC drifting. RC Drift Events had all of their dress up with them as usual so it looked very good even though it was very small. The asphalt was very smooth and when the tires were warmed up (and they really did get pretty warm!) it had good grip too. I think that, if we get a bigger spot, it will make for a very good track. I had some trouble getting my line right as I don’t have overdrive on my chassis and drive a pretty wide line normally. Here it wasn’t possible to go wide, so I crashed in to the barriers a lot and quite hard too sometimes. I left some green marks on there and on the other cars too. Here’s some pictures from saturday. No pics from sunday as it was that early fall playing up again. To wet to drive so we helped packing up the RC Drift Events van and just watched the ODC battles. Ricardo might posts some pictures of that.
Some quick snaps of the RC’s and the track.
Arno’s showroom with his midnight purple R34 on a rotating platform
Arno’s AE86 wallriding
Michel getting used to his overdrive setup
I’ve spotted that crash guys!
Ricardo almost riding that wall
Another try, and spot on
Just a quick update. I’m still waiting for the Runfree bumpers for my AE86 body, so in the meantime I have tested the colorscheme on my new buggy body. Looks quite good me thinks 😀
before I put the decals on
Just like the rest of the gang, I’m also working on my team body.
While I was taping it for spray paint, I realized I still have a lexan spoiler that used to be for my former project. I’d like to know how you think about wheter I should put it on the levin, or throw it rigth back where it came from….
Here are some pictures.
This is part 2 of my teambody project. Last weekend, the day before the EMAC race day, Darksupra and I made the final design. I drew all the points on the bodyshells so we can mask and paint them. Reinier and Hotrod13 also have an AE86 body and they copied the drawings too.
Here are some pictures of the progress. Some might not be so interesting, but they are handy for the other team members.
Pile of AE86’s
Getting the lines right
Measuring the stripes so it’s easy to copy them
What it will look like in colour. Every team member gets its own colour. (will be a Levin instead of a Trueno though)
Soon, part 3!