So in my previous Cyclone project post i said i bought a complete cyclone as well.
I received it like this a week or so later:
It was really dirty (already saw that in the auction pictures 😛 ) so i took it appart:
I really didn’t expect it in such a good shape for what i paid. No stripped screws or damaged belts/pulleys or whatsoever. It was only very dirty (think it has been in storage for a long time).
After cleaning it looked like this:
Sorry for the crappy picture 😛
Tested it last Thursday (Practice Days – Day 1 vid) and Sunday (D1:10, rcdrifting competition).
I was surprised how it behaved, i couldnt tell the difference between my pro4’s and the cyclone 😀
Monday i cleaned it again (I hate chalk lines 😛 ) and also cleaned up the wiring:
Sorry for the lack of any Countersteer setup but i’m waiting for a 10t TDS pulley.
Because i never liked how RC cars drifted i really wanted a chassis with countersteer mod as soon as i first saw it.
I first wanted to mod my Pro4 hara or TC4 for countersteering but the gears that i could use are 30 euro’s without shipping and they don’t even fit without serious modding.
And i really don’t like to spend that kind of money on some lousy gears that probably will fail fast because they need to mesh precise….
Because belt drive chassis are easier to mod for countersteering i started to look for a cheap Hotbodies Cyclone (Because it shares parts with the Pro4). Wanted to keep it as cheap as possible because the place were we drive every friday night (Club night were Reinier,Dennis and me drive) is probably to slippery and unpredictable for countersteering so it won’t be used as much as my Pro4’s.
A couple weeks ago i bought a Cyclone parts lot to start with.
As soon as i opened the package i saw this:
Bulkheads weren’t broken when they left the previous owner…
After stealing some parts from the pro4 that i had for sale, the cyclone looked like this:
A couple days later Tijs (Tizer) send me a link from Tamiyaclub with a HPI chassis lot (Owner didn’t know what he had) and one of those chassis was a Cyclone TC.
The price for both chassis was what i wanted to spend for the cyclone alone!
Ofcourse i bought it as fast as i could 😛
Will post more of this project later!
I’ve been trying to mod my 415 to CS. This is how it got so far. Still have to change the front belt and pulley. Still didn’t find a suiteable belt to fit with a larger pulley.
The centerpulley is changed with a HB set. To the back it has a 18T pulley, and to the front it has a 16T pulley.
This here’s the back differential with a TA04 pulley on it. I had to tighten the drivebelt up with extra tensioners. It may look a bit crappy but it works fine.
Also you need to change the positioning of the tires when they are under angle of steering. The tire closest to the driving circle has a shorter radius of steering than the one that’s on the outer circle. This is called Ackermann. When you are modding your chassis for countersteer, you have to minimize, if not, completely remove the ackermann from your steering house. This is a very tricky mod, but the internet is full of alternatives.
I’ve chosen to make it by myself. Still need to finish it, but it works just fine.
Please leave a comment if you need info!